Salem Pioneer Cemetery, located at Commercial Street SE and Hoyt Street, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places under its historic name, Odd Fellows Rural Cemetery, on September 11, 2013. The City-owned property of seventeen acres has the registration identification number 13000707. The 72-page nomination document includes, in addition to a narrative, ten exhibits and twenty-five photographs. It is reproduced on our Web site in its entirety courtesy of the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office. When citing the document for research purposes, the recommended form is: Odd Fellows Rural Cemetery, National Register of Historic Places Registration Form prepared by Elisabeth Walton Potter, Friends of Pioneer Cemetery, February 28, 2013.
The burial ground was founded by Chemeketa Lodge No. 1 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1854 and has been known as Salem Pioneer Cemetery since 1954. Friends of Pioneer Cemetery prepared the application for the City of Salem Parks and Recreation organization, citing the property's significance to the city and state as an outstanding cultural landscape in the 19th century Rural Cemetery tradition and as the final resting place of founders and leaders of Oregon government, institutions, commerce, and industry.