Salem Pioneer Cemetery ~ Isaac Ross Moores ~ part of the Marion County Pioneer Cemeteries of Oregon
Isaac Ross Moores
TITLE: Col. (Jr.) GENDER: M MILITARY: Civil War - 2nd Reg. O. V. M.
BORN: 14 Feb 1831 DIED: 25 Jul 1884 BURIED: 2 Aug 1884
ETHNICITY:   OCCUPATION:  Merchant, Legislator, Speaker of House; Pres. O & C RR
BIRTH PLACE:  Danville, Vermilion Co., Illinois
DEATH PLACE: Portland, Multnomah Co., Oregon
"Among the Oregon pioneers prominent in the immigration of 1852 were Colonel I. R. Moores, Sr., and his two sons, John H. Moores and Isaac R. Moores, who left Danville, Illinois, in March, 1852, and reached Portland, Oregon, in November of that year. In the following year I. R. Moores, Sr., located in Lane county, where he accumulated a large tract of land (1710 acres), midway between Eugene and Irving, and where he spent the remainder of his days, his death occurring April 15, 1861. He was the son of Henry Moores, a soldier of the American revolution, whose forebears and collateral relatives were numerous in North and South Carolina and Maryland. After the Revolutionary War, Henry Moores moved to Kentucky, where he received a land grant of over one thousand acres on the Kentucky river. Here his son Isaac R. Moores, Sr., was born, March 21, 1796. His youth was spent in the south. He was married in Tennessee to Jane Alexander, who was born in Georgia on December 27, 1793, and died in Salem, Oregon, January 28, 1868. 
Isaac R. Moores for a number of years was a resident of Alabama, where his oldest son was born. He was a personal friend of Governor Sam Houston of Texas, who offered him very attractive inducements to locate in that state. Except for his aversion to the system of human slavery, these inducements would have probably made him a citizen of Texas and his name and that of his descendants would never have appeared on the roll of Oregon pioneers. He subsequently became one of the pioneers of Illinois, locating in Danville in 1824, which at that time was a more important point than Chicago. Here he was engaged in business continuously until he left for Oregon territory twenty-eight years later. During this period he served under Jackson in the Seminole war in Florida. In the Black Hawk war he served as colonel of the 4th regiment of Illinois volunteers. Later he formed a company for enlistment in the Mexican war, but its enlistment was never consummated. In 1852 he formed a caravan of about 70 wagons for the trip to Oregon. Among the youngsters who served him as chauffeurs on that long and toilsome journey were John R. Curry, father of Bruce C. Curry; Charles Holman, father of Herbert; Rufus C. and Captain Charles Holman, and Joseph Buchtel, all makers of history in the early days of Portland. Colonel Moores lived less than nine years after locating in Oregon, but they were all busy and strenuous years. He died in Lane county on April 15, 1861. He represented Lane county in the territorial legislature in 1855, and was a member of the Oregon Constitutional Convention in 1857. In 1860 he was nominated by the republicans of Lane county for the state senate, but faced defeat, as Lane county was at that time one of the Gibraltars of democracy. His wife, Jane Alexander Moores, was a woman of splendid pioneer type and his loyal and efficient companion during their long years of married life. Their children were: John H. Moores, who was born in Huntsville, Alabama, June 26, 1821, and died in Salem, Oregon, December 16, 1880. Martha A. Moores, born in Danville, Illinois, February 1, 1824, and died March 23, 1847. Mary Matilda Moores, born in Danville, Illinois, January 21, 1826, and died in Salem, Oregon, April 20, 1864. Charles W. Moores, born in Georgetown, Illinois, November 2, 1828, and died in a military hospital in Stevenson, Alabama, June 10, 1864. Isaac Ross Moores, born in Danville, Illinois, February 14, 1831, and died in Portland, Oregon, July 25, 1884. John H. Moores spent his youth in Danville, Illinois. He began business in Benton, Scott county, Missouri. He was married on May 11, 1847, to Virginia Lafayette Lamon, who was born in Bunker Hill, Virginia, July 14, 1825, and died in Portland, Oregon, June 9, 1897. John H. Moores returned to Danville in 1851 and in the following spring accompanied his father, Colonel I. R. Moores, across the plains to Oregon. In March, 1853, he located in Salem, Oregon, where he resided during the remaining years of his life. He was there engaged in the mercantile business until the fall of 1865. He later purchased the South Salem Flour and Lumber Mills, which he disposed of in the middle '70s, consolidating his lumber business with that of the Capital Lumbering Company. He was the secretary and manager of the latter company from June, 1876, until his death in December, 1880. During the 27 years and more which he spent in Salem, he was actively interested in various public enterprises. He was treasurer of Marion county for some years. He was about 25 years a member of the board of trustees of Willamette University, and was for several years a member of the board of directors of the Salem public schools and of the Oregon State Agricultural Society, of which he was also treasurer. He was also a member of Salem's first city council, four times mayor of Salem, four years a member of the Oregon State senate, and was with the late George H. Atkinson, named as a commissioner to designate the location of the Oregon penitentiary and the Oregon State Insane asylum. Mr. and Mrs. John H. Moores were both members of the Salem First M. E. church, and Mrs. Moores was for years president of the Oregon Children's Aid Society, which erected and maintained an orphans' home on Asylum avenue in Salem, on the location now occupied by the State Nurses' home. Their children were: A daughter, who was born and died in Benton, Missouri, in 1848. Charles B. Moores, who was born August 6, 1849, in Benton, Missouri. Gertrude E. Moores, who was born in Danville, Illinois, September 27, 1851, and died in Salem, Oregon, October 12, 1877. Albert N. Moores, who was born in Salem, Oregon territory, May 12, 1855. Althea and Bertha Moores (twins), who were born in Salem, Oregon. Carrie V. Moores, who was born in Salem, Oregon. Althea, who died April 29, 1883. Gertrude E. Moores, who was married July 1, 1874, to Miles M. Miller. Charles B. Moores was married November 1, 1881, to Sarah E. Chamberiin, a native of Michigan, and daughter of Joseph and Olive Warren Chamberlin, and is of Revolutionary stock on both her paternal and maternal sides. Albert N. Moores was married May 26, 1885, to Cora L. Dickinson, a native of Salem, Oregon, and the daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Obed Dickinson. They have three children, all born in Salem, Oregon. The dominant strain of the Moores family on both the paternal and maternal sides, dating back to pre-Revolutionary times, is Scotch-Irish. On the paternal side they go back to the Alexanders and the McDonalds, of Georgia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas, and on the maternal side to the Lamons, the Bruces and the Chenowiths of Maryland and Virginia. They were essentially pioneers, constantly heading for the west. A hundred years ago they made their appearance in large numbers in Illinois and the states of the middle west and for nearly eighty years a fair contingent of them have been standing to be counted among the earliest of the pioneers of the great Northwest." 
From: Steeves, Sarah Hunt, BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE OF MARION COUNTY, OREGON, PIONEERS 1840 - 1860, Portland, Oregon, The Berncliff Press, 1927, (Source: A. N. Moores, Salem, Oregon, 1927.) pp 236-238; 

BIOGRAPHICAL: "I. R. Moores was speaker of the house of representatives, Oregon legislature at the 1864 session. He was the first president of the Oregon Central Railroad company, that went to Ben Holiday, that became the Oregon & California railroad company, that is now the Southern Pacific. He was a land agent for the O. & C. company and died in Portland in 1884." 
Oregon Statesman 23 Mar 1941 4:1 (Bits for Breakfast, by R. J. Hendricks).
DEATH OF Col. I. R. Moores -- The following particulars of the death of Col. I. R. Moores is taken from Saturday's Standard: About 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, the painful news went flying on the streets of our city that Col. I. R. Moores was stricken down with that dread disease, apoplexy. 
Numerous friends who heard of it repaired to his rooms in the Dekum block, only to find the news too true. Medical aid was quickly summoned, and all that human aid, prompted by loving hearts and assisted by medical science, could do was done in the endeavor to resuscitate him. 
About two months ago Co. Moores suffered a partial paralysis, which has affected the organs of his throat and mouth to such an extent as to seriously impair his speech, and his friends have ever since been apprehensive of a recurrence of the attack. It seems that on yesterday morning he was late at his office in the Land Department of the O. & C. Railroad Company of which he was the virtual head. He seemed as well as usual, stating to his clerk that he had overslept himself that morning; which was unusual for him. He went to lunch at the usual hour, and was afterward seen walking on the streets. About 3p.m. someone going to his room discovered him lying on his bed senseless, and summoned aid. It seems that he felt the attack coming on, and had partially undressed, with the evident intention of resting awhile and while undressing had fallen upon the bed. Telegraphic summons were immediately sent to his family in Salem, and his sons and other relatives and friends were brought down on the yard engine stationed there, arriving in this city about seven o'clock in the evening. His wife is absent on a visit to relatives in Danville, Illinois. After Col. Moores was discovered on his bed he did not revive, but remained unconscious until 10:20 last night, when he died. Dr. A. L. Nicklin was called in at first and remained with him, assisted by Drs. Watkins and Saylor. 
Col. Moores was about 56 years of age, and leaves a wife and four sons. He is an old settler, and has resided at Salem for many years, where he owns some property. He was Grand Treasurer of the Grand Lodge of Odd Fellows, an office he has held for many years, a Freemason and a member of the A. O. U. W. The body will be embalmed today by Ewry & Garnold, and sent to Salem for burial. The date of the burial cannot be fixed for a day or two, until Mrs. Moores can be heard from. Col. Moores was a social, jovial man, one who made fast friends, and his death, so sudden, will fill many a heart with sorrow and regret. Mr. Moores was a member of the Constitutional Convention of Oregon, from Lane county, which body met in the autumn of 1857. He was also a member of the House of Representatives from Marion county, and was elected Speaker of that body in 1864. Two sessions of that Legislature were held, the latter in December, 18675, when the amendment to the U.S. Constitution abolishing slavery was adopted. The remains were brought to this city by the evening express on yesterday, and carried to the family residence, on the corner of Front and Marion streets, borne by the members of the different orders of which the deceased was a member. The funeral notice will be given when the time shall be determined. 
Weekly Oregon Statesman 1 August 1884 1:8 

The fire bell was tolled yesterday morning in memory of Hon. I. R. Moores, whose death occurred in Portland the night before.  Many of the older residents of the State still bear in remembrance the late Col. I. R. Moores, Sr., whose love of adventure brought him as one of the early pioneers to this State, where he became a resident of Lane county. He was a man of great energy and activity, and had seen considerable military service, having served in the Seminole Indian war in two campaigns with Gen. Jackson in Florida. He also commanded a regiment in the Blackhawk war of 1831, and afterwards enlisted in the Mexican war of 1846. He came to the State of Oregon in 1852, locating near Eugene City. He afterwards represented Lane county in the State Legislature and also in the State Constitutional Convention, held in Salem in 1857. He died in 1861 and is buried in the Odd Fellows’ Rural Cemetery, near Salem. Bearing a striking resemblance to him in personal appearance, in disposition, and in his love of novelty and adventure, was his youngest son, Col. I. R. Moores, Jr., who died in Portland, of apoplexy on Friday evening, July 25, 1884, at 10:20 p.m. He was born near Danville, Vermilion county, Illinois, on the 14th Day of February, 1831 The days of his childhood and earlier manhood were spent in Danville. He received a common school education; and upon leaving school began active life as a clerk in the mercantile businessman 1850, before he had reached his 20th year, fired by stories of the gold mines in California, he crossed the plains and spent two years in the mines of that State, but with poor success. He returned to his Eastern home in 1852, and almost immediately joined his father, who was then organizing a company to go to Oregon. With this company he came to Oregon, leaving Illinois in March, 1852, and reaching Portland in December of the same year. From Portland he went to Yamhill county, and there for two years followed the business of surveying, in partnership with Hon. Wm. Logan, who afterwards perished at sea in the wreck of the Brother Jonathan. From Yamhill county, he removed, in 1854, to Salem, where he has held his residence for the thirty years which have since elapsed. For a year or more after his arrival in Salem he acted as a clerk in the mercantile business for Mr. J. N. McDonald. In 1856, in conjunction with his brother (the late Hon. J. H. Moores), he bought Mr. McDonald’s stock, and continued the business until 1865. 
On Sept. 2, 1856, he was married to Miss Ellen L. Lamon, who survives him. In public affairs he always took an active interest. For several terms he was a member of the Salem City Council. In the organization of the Salem Fire Department he took great interest, and was the first president of the first organized company. He was also one of the organizers of the Odd Fellows’ Library Association of which he was president. He was one of the earliest members of Chemeketa Lodge, No. 1, I.O.O.F., joining in 1856, and assisted in the institution of Willamette Encampment. He became a member of the Masonic Order in 1870, and had attained the honor of the 32nd degree. He was just entering upon his 18th year as grand treasurer of the Grand Lodge of Odd Fellows of this State, and had acted as grand receiver of the Grand Lodge of A. O. U. W. since its institution in this State in 1879. In 1862, he was elected a member of the Legislature from Marion county. He was re-elected in 1864. At the latter session he was chosen Speaker of the House. He also acted as Speaker at the special session of 1865, an, as such, signed the act passing favorable upon the Constitutional Amendment abolishing slavery, an act which was a source of great pride and satisfaction to him. In 1861, at the outbreak of the Civil War, when it seemed possible that Oregon might be called upon to take active part, he was appointed Colonel of the 2d Regt. O. V. M., having an enrollment of 1,100 men and 4 companies of artillery, all equipped for service. In 1866 he was appointed by Gove Woods, clerk of the State Board of School Land Commissioners, and served in that capacity until 1870. He was, in 1867, one of the originators and incorporators of the Oregon Central R. R. Co., of which he was the vice president until 1870, when it was transferred to the corporation now controlling it, the O & C.R.R. Co. In 1870, he was appointed land commissioner of the O. & C. R. R., which position he retained until the day of his death. He was during his whole life a member of the M. E. church, and his name has for 30 years been upon the rolls of the Salem church. It was fitting that his body should first be conveyed to this church before being finally borne away to his last resting place in the beautiful cemetery in the original institution and location of which he was one of the leading spirits. Probably no man had a more extensive personal acquaintance in the State of Oregon, and friends many be found in every community of the State to whom the sad news of his death will come with the keenest sense of personal loss. He had a rare faculty of making acquaintance and of permanently attaching them to him in the bonds of personal friendship. His most striking characteristics were his warm-hearted generosity and his fidelity to his friends. Nothing gave him greater pleasure than the opportunity to do a kindly act. No story of want was ever told that did not at once enlist his active sympathy. He invited confidence by his manner no less than his nature and he literally ran after opportunities for rendering a favor or bestowing a charity. His acts of charity were almost without limit or number, and made the rich and poor alike his debtors. For a whole generation his life was spent in this community, and more than half of his life work was done here among us. We know what that work was and what that life was. It was a work well done and a life well spent. His death is not a mere personal loss; it is a public loss, and leaves vacant a place that cannot be filled. He has gone to his grave lamented not merely by his family, by his immediate friends, by the members of the different brotherhoods whose hands have laid him tenderly away for his final rest, nor by this community where his heart always was, but by friends in almost every community in the Northwest, where for many years his active business career had made him so well known. He was loved and is lamented as a sincere and earnest man, who faults, if he had them, were those that are almost inseparable from a generous and impulsive nature, whose heart was always right, whose motives were always pure and high, and whose highest aspiration was to do a generous or charitable act. (Newspaper article, not named or dated, in Moores’ Scrapbook)
Isaac R. 
1831 - 1884
DAR pg 32 
S&H pg 24 
Steeves, BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE, pp 236-238
WOS 1 August 1884 1:8 
WOS 1 August 1884 1:7 
Moores' Scrapbook