FLINT - In Portland, Monday, March 19, 1894, Addison R. Flint.
The deceased was the father of Mrs. H. A. Dearborn of this city and Mrs. B. F. Swick of Lafayette. The remains were brought to Salem Last night for interment in Rural cemetery.
Oregon Statesman 20 March 1894 4:5
Addison R. Flint, whose death occurred at Portland on March 18th, was born at North Reading, Mass., August 17, 1808. When a young man he went as civil engineer to Valparaiso, and surveyed the first railroad built in South America between that city and Santiago. He came to California, a few months after the discovery of gold, landing in San Francisco when that city was a village of tents.
In 1850 he came to Oregon by way of the Umpqua river, and settled in Winchester and afterward in Roseburg. He surveyed a large portion of the southern part of the state, and for a term of years was connected with the land office at Roseburg, afterward engaging in the mercantile business. Since his early childhood he has been a consistent loyal member of the Presbyterian church. He organized and conducted the first Sabbath school in Oregon south of the Calapooia mountains.
In every relation of life his character has been that of an upright, unselfish Christian gentleman. Since the death of his wife in 1884 his home has been with his children, Mrs. H. A. Dearborn of Salem, Mrs. S. E. Morgan of Portland, Mrs. B. F. Swick of Dayton, and S. C. Flint of Roseburg. A fourth daughter, Mrs. J. F. Watson, died some years since.
His remains will be buried by the side of wife and daughter at Salem, the funeral being held at 2:30 p.m. at the residence of Mrs. Dearborn in South Salem.
Oregon Statesman 21 March 1894 4:1